Saturday, November 27, 2010

Drunken Candied Sweet Potatoes

Quick Recipe Review: Easy to make, melt in your mouth decadent sweet potatoes with kick (kick provided by Jack Daniels) 

I'm still recovering from thanksgiving, and I have a whole lot of recipes to type up here. I'm going to try to make the effort to get them all posted this week, unfortunately I don't have photos for each dish, but I'll post what I've got. Starting off with Drunken Candied Sweet Potatoes.

Kevin had been subtly hinting saying that he wanted to have sweet potatoes for a few days before Thanksgiving. Each time I would say "Well should we make them?" "No no, we've got enough stuff to make already" The last straw was when we went to the grocery store Thanksgiving morning and there were some sweet potatoes improperly labeled as yam's and on sale for 50 cents a pound. (Check out this post for sweet potato/yam identity theft information) As soon as we got home and started cooking, Kevin mentioned the sweet potatoes and how good they were, again.


I checked out the recipe, and it looked pretty simple, and since I had completely prepped all of my dishes the day before, (ha! Sometimes my obsessive compulsive over achieving tendencies pay off!) I decided to take on some last minute sweet potatoes. I had to go back to the store anyways because we had forgotten a few things on the earlier trip, so I grabbed 4 sweet potatoes and got cooking. (For the record achieving thanksgiving took- 3 trips to Von's, 1 trip to Henry's, 1 trip to Target, and one trip to the corner store for more beer)

Drunken Candied Sweet Potatoes
(this recipe came to me by way of Kevin's roommate's ex-wife's father, Jeff. That's as far back as I can trace its lineage)

3 lbs sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into wedges
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 c water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup bourbon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Boil potato wedges until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Rinse and Cool. Arrange in a shallow baking dish.

While potatoes are cooking simmer brown sugar, butter, water and salt over medium heat stirring occasionally until all sugar is dissolved and sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in bourbon.

Drizzle half of the sauce over sweet potatoes and bake for 45 minutes. Continue to baste with sauce throughout cooking. (I took them out to baste twice)

The sweet potatoes ended up being easy to make, smelled and tasted amazingggg. They were a great addition to thanksgiving. Having Bourbon in the glaze gave it great taste, and really stepped it up from regular candied sweet potatoes.

Phew, one down four to go! Upcoming Blog Preview: Oven Roasted Vegetables, Aunt Peggy's Pineapple Stuffing, Chocolate Pecan Pie, and Pumpkin Cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment